Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Yoga Rebirth

The following post is a partial re-post of something I wrote years ago, but would like to share again with you guys. Thanks for reading!

Megan Riley, yoga instructor, demonstrating Sukhasana
As some of you might know, I'm not only a therapist, I'm also a yoga instructor. For me, yoga amidst happiness is pure bliss, but perhaps more significant, yoga amidst adversity can be times for growth and change, however painful. Whenever life seems to get a little too tough, I always know I can come to my mat, find my focus, release my brain from endless cycles of thought, and come out a refreshed and revitalized woman.  

How many of us lie awake nights or find ourselves drifting off in the middle of our workday dwelling and brooding on our troubles of the moment? How many sleepless nights and less-than-productive workdays? When I'm in the middle of a tough, sweaty session of yoga, there's no room left in my mind, body, or soul to focus on anything but the alignment of my knee and the opening of my chest as I reach for the stretch or command my body to lift gracefully in a strength pose. A moving meditation. "Yoga citta vrtti nirodha." The second of Patanjali's yoga sutras. This is translated as, Yoga is the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind. Oh boy, it sure is. Most times my thoughts race from one topic to another, and my emotions inevitably follow suit. Sometimes it feels like all the disparate facets of my personality have their own voice in my head and clamor to make themselves heard when attempting to understand a particular situation. But without perspective and objectivity, it can feel impossible for one voice to win out over the rest, leading to a state of chaos and confusion. Yoga gives me a chance to take a deep breath and allow my thoughts to settle - to cease its fluctuation. And hopefully, it is in the silence, in the quiet, that I find my answers without active searching. Answers that come from a deeper aspect of my being, a more integrated and foundational energy. I feel that these answers are more trustworthy in that, they come from a place stripped of emotion whether happy, sad, prideful, or selfish.

There are several lucky people out there who are able to be in this state of stripped down awareness throughout their consciousness, whether or not in an hour and a half yoga class. Or, maybe I'm in error calling them lucky. Luck implies that it is good fortune and not hard work that has gotten them to that state. In actuality, these meditative gurus work terribly hard day in and day out to cease the fluctuations of their minds in hopes of achieving that transcendental state. Anyone who thinks meditation is easy needs to try it sometime. Achieving an unassisted handstand in the center of the room is easier and less scary than having to face yourself in the stillness of your thoughts and mind.
 
Me at Woodley Park Yoga Studio
As you may remember from a couple of posts ago, I talked about the power of meditation. For some people, this practice feels too esoteric or hokey. As an alternative, I often suggest that clients engage in yoga or running, or any of the hands-on, repetitive and creative activities I cited here, as a more accessible form of meditation. Eventually, through the movement and activity, you may find yourself gaining a broader understanding of meditation and its healing effects. Yoga is an individual practice, while also acknowledging the essence of community. Through yoga, one is faced front and center with pride, anxiety, and ego, to name but a few. To many, that doesn't really sound like a fun hour and a half a day. And, honestly, it isn't always fun. But it is almost always a chance for growth and development.

Looking for a yoga class to attend in your area? Feel free to drop me an email and I'll respond with some suggestions! Also, stay tuned for an upcoming post on yoga for depression and a sequence you can easily do in the comfort of your own home!

No comments:

Post a Comment